Incumbents, Challengers, and Our Friends Who Too Want I&R
- Alabama TEA Party Conservative Coaliton - continues to support I&Reting.
- Dr. Ronald Hei - Common Sense TEA Party Patriots, Covington County. "A concept overdue for implementation in Alabama, and, indeed, the entire 50 states."
- Dr. Rod Herring - Partner of Herring Spine & Rehab of Opelika, AL “I support the Initiative and referendum right for the people of Alabama. However, it should not be a replacement of our representative republic which entrusts our elected officials in the legislature to pass laws through our regular constitutional process. It should be rarely used as a means to address issues of the citizens of Alabama when those elected officials do not have the political will to do so or to repeal laws or actions of those elected officials that are either oppressive or non-representative of the values of the vast majority of Alabama citizens.”
- Joe Hubbard (D, Montgomery) legislator and candidate for Alabama Attorney General. "I support I&R. Always have."
- Paul Jacob - Citizens in Charge Foundation "The initiative process is the one vibrant and true check citizens have in our system of checks and balances. A defense against a political culture that has become divorced from the average citizen and where politicians no longer listen to their boss: the voters. I'm very excited about the movement Frank Dillman has started to bring initiative and referendum to Alabama."
- Hiram Johnson - Governor of California. "I most strongly urge, that the first step in our design to preserve and perpetuate popular government shall be the adoption of the Initiative, Referendum, and Recall."
- Lrs posted on ivn.us concerning an article where citizens controlling California gerrymandering "The recent changes in California redistricting by citizens committee are but one step towards minimizing undue influence by various groups. But it is an important step because it forces political leaders into listening to a greater percentage of their individual constituency."
- Macon County Republican Club
- John Merrill - Current Alabama Secretary of State and former state representative.
- Christina Michas - "Best thing a state can do is put the power back in the hands of the people and away from the legislators! God Bless you on your mission!!!"
- Patriots of Liberty TEA Party of Lee County
- Justin Shanks shared Let Bama Vote's post: "If you don't know what initiative and referendum are and would like to know more than this brief primer, ask here and I'll lay out a more detailed description. I&R are unquestionably the most effective form of direct democracy and citizen rights we have in the USA....there is no more powerful agent of change (in the social or legislative arena) than I&R. In my opinion it is the single most important issue for citizens in states without the ability....26 states (27 if we include DC) have the power of I&R. We are not one of them. Our state of Alabama has one of the most corrupt and anti-citizen state governments in the entire country. Every one of the 3 branches of our state government is tainted with (and often enveloped in) scandal and corruption. Alabama has the longest constitution in the world. Not just the US...the world. Let that sink in for a minute. That's not something to be proud of...that's a symptom of the oligarchic origins of the state government, and the very intentional structuring of the constitution and legal framework to exclude the "common folk"...poor whites and blacks of the day...from having any say in how they were governed. To this day, that original structure holds true, and the mechanical way in which state overcentralization suppresses citizen rights and influence is still as strong today as it was in 1901. But that can change. Initiative, referendum, and recall are the most powerful weapons citizenry can employ...we can have real, tangible influence in our neighborhoods, our communities, our cities, and our counties. All we have to do is gain the power of I&R. Support it now...get on board. This is a non partisan, far reaching, all encompassing issue. Regardless of your political, social, or personal stances, this will benefit you, everyone you know, and every future generation of Alabama citizens."
- David Shockey of Huntsville was initially against I&R. However upon having his questions and concerns addressed at the Pachyderm Club in Huntsville, David posted "I am now a proponent of I&R bill..."
- John Sophocleus - Libertarian Gubernatorial 2002 candidate and LOVER of our Constitution and of liberty.
- Scott Tillman - "Election laws that prevent elections [of initiatives and popular referenda] control of the electoral process — from the rules that govern who gets on the ballot to whether one should even be scheduled – must be closely watched. History shows that incumbents and their supporters simply can’t be trusted to not try to craft rules that protect them from electoral threats."
- Alabama Representative Phil Williams "I support I&R initiatives and believe that giving the people a voice in deciding issues is critically important for effective government.
I feel that the voice of the people will hold government officials accountable and limit their ability to “grow” government. "
- Scott Wilson - resident of California. "It has been a real power in California to stop the legislature from wasting our money and limiting our rights. Americans have the right and duty to protect ourselves against governmental abuses. Patriots need the initiative process to protect America from the overreach of government!"
- Jake Witmer - blogger and activist who has been in my corner from day one. "I greatly admire your leadership in this area....Eternal vigilance is the price of liberty, and all that. The more communication, the better, and you have done more for I & R in 2012 and 2013, than anyone else I'm aware of."