Handouts and Reading
PDF viewer with ease.viewing pdf files in your Chrome browser? There are many .pdf files on this page. I am using
- Statistically Alabamians across party lines, age groups, and income categories want to have the privilege to introduce bills and to remove unpopular legislative acts. CitizensinCharge provides a very useful and convincing chart of data collected by Pulse Opinion Research in 2010 of the 50 states with Alabama being more detailed in a different format. convincing chart
- Two per page flyer for bulletin boards about campus, community centers, work place. Simply cut paper in half and use about your community.
- What is the Initiative and Referendum Process?
- Overview of Initiative Use 1900-2012
- The History of the Initiative and Referendum Process?
- Which States have the Initiative and Referendum Process?
- State Histories of their Initiative and Referendum.
Additional Reading and Videos
- Alabama State Bar Association, Report of Annual meeting, Montgomery July 12 and 13, 1912. Mr. Gibson states "The time is coming in Alabama when we are going to use recall." Furthermore he spoke "In Jefferson county we have the referendum and we use it"
- Alabama GOP Governor Debate between Rep. Robert Bentley and Dr. Bradley Byrne
- Initiative and Referendum for Alabama: Empower the People presented at Auburn University on March 6, 2002
- Edwin M. Bacon and Morrill Wyman, Direct Elections and Law-Making by Popular Vote, The Initiative The Referendum - The Recall Commission Government for Cities Preferental Voting, 1912
- Jason Baker - A resident of Alabama addresses the value of I&R.
- Representative Mike Ball's senior paper, Initiative and Referendum and its Effects
- Frank Dillman
- Welcome Back Rally 2015 (TinyUrl) - video on the Alabama State House steps - recorded by my friend and fellow patriot Cindy Cheaves
- 18Nov2014 Speaking before Patrtiots of Liberty TEA Party, on-line coverage by Emily Esleck of Auburn University.
- AL.com Op Ed 23May2014
- Letter to to al.com editor of 1May2014
- Brief mention on al.com of 1May2014
- Matthew Duraski, AU Senior Political Science student presents Initiative and Referendum, Government Action, and Public Administration, an informative paper of the I&R process discussing strengths and weakness drawing a summary that "Nothing is perfect..." however "With the proper nuancing and a healthy dose of slow, intentional implementation, Initiative and Referendum can be used as a great check on the government which so often can get out of contol."
- John Fund of Wall Street Journal speaking in Denver about Colorado's Initiative Process
- A step by step booklet entitled "Local Ballot Initiatives: How citizens change laws with clipboards, conversations, and campaigns" by Lucy Burns Institute's President and CEO Leslie Graves is an outstanding tool for the I & R process. - Free on-line download
- National Municipal Review 1914 Volume III, page 695 for Birmingham 1911 and 1912 referenda
- National municipal review National Municipal League of 1912
- Neal Hobson of CitizensInCharge.org, a national advocacy organization for citizens to represent themselves at the ballot box, presented our effort to the world on May 23, 2014 beginning with "In a 'Frank-tastic' op-ed ... Dillman calls for the adoption of statewide initiative and referendum for the Yellowhammer state." Read Neal's blog of our efforts in Alabama with links to the op-ed.
- Paul Jacob, president Citizens In Charge Foundation Improving Direct Democracy in California.
- Lee County Commissioner Sheila Eckman Facebook post 18Nov2014
- Allen W. Jones, Political Reforms of the Progressive Era, paper read at the annual meeting of the Alabama Historical Association, Selma, April 26, 1968 - beginning on page 203.
- Kristi Jones as an AU Senior Poltical Science student in 2012 wrote Alabama Initiative Implementation. She has provided permission to linking to her paper for the benefit of all Alabama voters. Kristi began law school in 2013 with an interest of election law. We need forward thinkers in our government arena. We wish her well.
- League of Women Voters Alabama
- Initiative and Referendum Study Resource Packet - Preparing for consensus discussion and decision.
Referendum position adopted February 21, 2009 - see paragrarph VII. My Note - nearly all LWVAL stated positions have been
incorporated or improved upon in Represenative Mike Ball's
HB209 of 2014.
- Initiative and Referendum Consensus Questions
- League of Women Voters
- John G. Matsusaka, University of Southern California and I & R Institute,
- Public Policy Institute of California presenting a video-recorded forum discussing Reforming Caliifornia's Initiative Process This video is 1.25 hours in length but well worth your time to learn many of their discussed changes are already incorporated in our prennial bill before the Alabama House each session. Other California references include strenthening and changing their initiative process.
- Dennis Polhill, Senior Fellow, Independence Institute, and Elena Nunez, Executive Director Colorado Common Cause, discuss the importance and value of initiatives in Colorado hosted by Jon Caldara of Independence Institute. Additional published papers Dennis shared with all interested citizens, Are Coloradans Fit (August 1996) and People's Voice (July 2006).
Daniel A. Smith, Ph.D University
- University of Florida Selected Scholarly Publications [and] Books.
- Direct Democracy and Election and Ethics Laws
- Identifying and Preventing Signature Fraud on Ballot Measure Petitions
- Delegating Direct Democracy: Interparty Legislative Competition and the Adoption of the Initiative in the American States. A review of this research. According to ballotpedia.org "Daniel Smith, a professor at the University of Florida, wrote a study in 2008 which concluded 'there is no clear pattern demonstrating that paying for signatures increases invalid rates' over volunteer efforts" from the Denver Post, "heaping burdens on petitions", May 19, 2010.
- Initiative, Referendum and Recall by National Conference of State Legislatures - What a resource
- Polling if I&R was good public policy and opinion of I&R by Portrait of America in 1999-2000 and 2001, respectively.
- Swissinfo.ch/directdemocracy with news, analysis, opinion, and How To
- Washington Cities and Charter Counties - Initiative and Referendum Guide
- Wikipedia - Initiatives and referendums in the United States
- I&R Institute
- Independent Voting - a national strategy, communications, and organizing center working to connect and empower the 40% of Americans who identify themselves as independents.
- National Taxpayers Union - 2013 measures to help citizens to keep more of what they earn by state and municipality, as appropiate.
- OurAmericaInitiative - "redefining the liberty movement in America"
- Peopleslobby.com - focus includes an national initiative and referendum